Thursday, April 24, 2008

Wednesday April 16th, 2008: Busy day

Today, after day care, I spend most of the day working with Mama Bakhita on emails and reading a directory of charitable organizations in the US that we should be contacted. In the afternoon, I have my last Swahili lesson and hope to practice everything when I go to the market this weekend. The center is seriously running out of food and in need of help for the next month so I am using the money Ken’s parents and Julie have donated to purchase flour, wheat, coal, etc… that should last for the month. Thank you again!
It’s sad that the Amani centre is struggling. Their main donor pulled out several months ago and ever since it has been a struggle and a constant effort to find new partners.
I have also been working on correspondence with a school of students from Glasgow who are coming to visit in June to work on renovating the building here and also do activities with the children. They’d like to sell baby clothes made out of local fabric back in the UK so I will start working on something simple. Tobias and Ernesta are available on weekends so I need to think of what to do with them before hand.
Mama Bakhita had a computer donated to her so I also installed the software on that.
And last but not least, I also managed to post my diary in the evening and it was nice to see comments and get emails. Please give your feedback!! It’s great to hear from friends as I am thinking of you all!
I am also very happy to hear some of you would like to donate. The Amani center and the local youth definitely could use help. To give you an idea, it costs $250/ year to pay for secondary school here but most families can’t afford that as Tanzania is the 5th poorest country in the world. This is a big topic so I will write more in detail about this later.
Had trouble falling asleep but at least the dogs weren’t fighting as much as the night before I wished I had a bb gun with me. Sorry dog lovers, it was just a temporary lapse of sanity.

No comments: