Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Thursday April 10th 2008: Working with Mama Bakhita, the founder of the Amani center

I have been helping Mama Bakhita with typing up a grant request to the Swiss women’s catholic league. If the Amani center gets it, they will be granted 10 000 US$ Alice, the main volunteer who has been at the center for 7 months is leaving next week so I am taking over her secretarial duties. I am familiarizing myself with the whole process. Hopefully I can help raise money soon as that is one of my missions here. I help correct the English in the proposal draft and just make it sound nice. I also double check the budget proposal which turns out to be very helpful as I get to see how much things cost to run the Amani center and it’s different activities. I find out they have been doing seminars to train mothers of disabled children on how to care for them and they are very involved in mobile clinics. Their fieldwork is really trying to make a difference in the community where disabled children and their mothers are usually shunned.
In the evening I attend the assembly, which consists of prayers and singing. I respect the faith that is held here but it’s nice, as they are not trying to convert me either. I mainly really enjoy the singing and the communal aspect of their gathering.

No comments: