Friday, May 30, 2008

The Fundi

Fundi is the word for tailor in Kswahili.

There is a tailor who has a shop across the street from the Amani centre. He is a Muslim man in his thirties who always greets me with a huge smile. He is usually playing the radio and Islam chants. He has asked for my hand already but I have a fake wedding ring so that solved the problem when I showed my wedding finger.

I have been buying African at the market fabrics and he has made me some things including this great jacket in Masai fabric. We sit around and I show him a sketch then he takes measurements. He sometimes makes the close too large or long but I think he does it on purpose as he is quite conservative. For the jacket, I had leftover fabric and he offered to make me a bag. We didn't discuss the design at all and when I came back to pick up the bag, it was the coolest little pouch bag ever, I love it.
We manage to communicate even though there is a major communication barrier. Now all the other Mzungus (white people) are giving him business so he is quite happy. I have been sketching dresses and skirts for the other volunteers.
Definitely getting my need for designing and shopping satisfied at the same time!! I have had to control myself at the Saba Saba market as there are many fabric stands and I always find a new print I love. The art is so creative here and full of bold colors.
Now I am on my way to Zanzibar tomorrow and I heard there are amazing fabrics there too. I will be back on Saturday the 7th and then there will only be 3 more weeks to go at Amani. I can't believe I am already in my last month here.




No comments: